– Paine’s Biz Buzz Hardware was founded by Louis & Annette Paine in Thornbury selling hardware, soft furnishings & domestic goods. Reg Paine was also born this year.
– The family business expanded from 687 High Street by purchasing it’s neighbouring property at 683 High Street (the former Paine’s Mitre10) and business was booming.
– Reg Paine (Shaun’s Grandfather) joined his brothers Jack & Fred in the family business and his son Rex was born the following year.
– Louis Paine retired after the business had expanded across four sites as was in good hands.
– Rex Paine entered the family business full-time and over the next eight years it had grown to eight cousins working together across five branches with Reg and his brothers.
– Shaun Paine was born this year and the business was growing every year with Rex’s brothers Noel and John involved, too.
– Reg, Jack & Fred decided to split the business, with Rex, Noel & John working with Reg at the site in Thornbury. Plans were undertaken to make large improvements to the site.
– The business joined the Mitre10 group and the store was renamed Paines Mitre10.
1985 – 1993
The Mitre10 business grew every year and extensive renovations were done to remove the wall between 681 – 683 shop fronts and this expanded the range into timber.
– Rex, Noel & John purchase Watsonia Timber & Hardware Mitre10 and the business takes its first steps into trade timber & building supplies.
– Shaun & Travis Paine start work full-time and the fourth generation carries on Louis & Annette’s customer service values.
– The family business expanded again with the purchase of Danahers Mitre10 in Heidelberg.
– The family received an award from Mitre10 as ‘member of the year’ as the strong customer service standards passed down were recognised.
– Rex and his brothers split the family business again, with Shaun running the Watsonia & Thornbury sites, Travis moving on to his own business and Rex retiring.
2007- Rex returned to work with his wife Cheryl, after being too restless in retirement and later that year the Mitre10 store in Watsonia was sold with the Timber yard becoming an independent site.
– The original site in Thornbury is sold and Rex & Cheryl retire from the business.
2011 – 2017
– Shaun runs the busy Timber & Hardware business at the Watsonia Yard carrying the family name. His son Jacob starts casual work in early 2017 and the fifth generation of Paines continues the legacy.