– Reg and sons joined the Mitre10 group and renamed the store Paines Mitre10.
– We made extensive renovations to our site and removed the wall between 681 – 683 shop fronts to expand the store to accommodate larger stock ranges.
1986 – 1993
– The family business grew every year, building on its foundation of the best customer service and the right products to complete any project. Timber racking was introduced to the 681 shop area along with more building supplies and power tools.
– Rex, Noel and John purchased Watsonia Timber & Hardware Mitre10 and expanded the family business into trade and building supplies.
– Rex’s eldest two sons, Shaun and Travis, entered the business full-time at Watsonia and Thornbury stores and carried on Louis and Annette’s customer service values to the fourth generation. Reg Paine retired from work.
– The family business expanded again with the purchase of Danaher’s Mitre10 in Heidelberg and Rex moved to this office after working for years at our Thornbury location.
– The family received an award from Mitre10 as ‘member of the year’. Our strong customer service standards, passed down from generations past, were recognised throughout the Mitre10 group.
– Travis Paine left the business to pursue a tax accountant business.
– Rex, Noel and John split the family business again with Rex and Shaun operating the Thornbury and Watsonia sites. Rex retired due to health and Shaun took over running the new company – Rex Paine Timber & Hardware.
– Rex returned to work in good health, too restless in retirement, and took over managing the Thornbury site at the year’s end. Shaun joined him at Thornbury after selling the freehold at Watsonia Mitre10 and running the timber yard site across the road.
– Thornbury achieved its best results in a decade with Rex and Shaun delivering exceptional customer service to the people of Thornbury.
– Shaun left Thornbury to manage the timber yard at Watsonia. Rex decided to retire again and sell the Thornbury freehold.
2010 – Rex sold the freehold at an auction in November and closed the business in April 2011.
2010-2013 – Shaun still runs a busy Timber & Hardware business in Watsonia carrying the family name. Rex’s cousin Jeff Paine runs a hardware store across the road named after the original ‘Biz Buzz Hardware’.